704-905-6412 [email protected]

Mold Testing

Mold is nature’s recycler. The main purpose of mold: breakdown and eat dead organic matter! Without mold, dead organic material would not decay and just continue to pile up. We need mold as it plays an intricate part in maintaining our Eco-system. When you go outside, you are constantly exposed to mold spores, but the concentration of the mold is manageable and for most people does not pose a risk.

Problems and risks occur with mold, when the spores get trapped in an indoor environment, thereby increasing the concentration of spores. As stated earlier, mold is nature’s recycler, eating dead organic material. A home is composed of dead, organic material: wood, drywall, fabric, and paper. For this reason, a home is a perfect food source for mold.

The only way to prevent mold from eating your home is to control moisture, humidity and temperature because mold thrives in moist climates with a temperature range of 5 degrees to 38 degrees. Water is the key ingredient needed for mold to thrive:

Mold requires water to grow and thrive because it is a fungus. Mold has cells, but unlike a plant, it does not have chlorophyll and can not make it’s own food. Instead, mold needs food, organic dead matter. It reproduces by releasing it’s spores, this is mold’s survival mechanism. The key to mold growth is water. Without water and moisture, mold can not grow because it’s cells will not function properly.(Water…Necessary For ALL Life, Including Mold!)

Mold poses TWO key problems for home owners.

First, and foremost, mold poses a health risk. Of the three types of molds, toxigenic molds are the most harmful because they produce mycotoxins that pose serious health risks. Mold is scary because of the many health risks it poses and is linked to Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, cancer, chronic sinusitis, asthma, MS, and many other health issues.

Second, mold will reduce the value of your property. As mold thrives, it will continue to feed on your home, resulting in decay and rot, negatively impacting the structural integrity.

If your home was recently flooded or endured a significant water leak you should definitely consider having your home inspected for mold. You should also invest in a professional mold inspection if you see actual mold growing on your walls, suspect your health is being compromised, or notice an earthy, musty, mildew and even urine like smell.

When you choose a company to inspect your home, we strongly recommend that you work with an IICRC certified firm whose personnel have invested in training and truly understand what causes mold growth. Be sure to research and make sure you are working with a reputable company.